May 23, 2012
May 22, 2012
this Pin for this tutorial. I purchased red elastic to make straps for the headrests instead of using the buckles in the tutorial, but I haven't added them yet. The herringbone fabric is a sturdier canvas cloth (better for ground side) and the floral print is cotton (instead of the fleece in the tutorial). The main idea was to keep dog hair off the upholstery when the girls come on road trips (or even just trips over the river & through the woods to Grandmother's house-we-go). But once I finished adding the binding, I decided to try it out as a picnic blanket! I've used the blanket now for a graham cracker snack in the yard at my parent's and for a picnic in the park with my nieces. It's perfect to just throw in a bag or keep in the trunk of the car and is the size of a crib quilt (fit 2 adults & a few kiddos comfortably). This picnic blanket along with a basket would be a super cute gift! :)
May 21, 2012
May 20, 2012
May 16, 2012
- getting our very first CSA basket tonight, super excited for fresh & already paid for produce weekly!
- planning a lovely picnic & trip to the zoo with my sister & her girls :)
- an upcoming weekend of wedding fun to celebrate our good friends Mollie & Jon - can't wait!
- scheming an on-the-cheap bedroom makeover & lots of DIYs with supplies & materials I have on hand.
- a mid-week sleepover visit w/Bethany & Helen Honey (BFF & her baby girl in from Bozeman MT)!
- my sister coming home from DC for a jam-packed Memorial Day weekend :)
- breaking out the camping gear for the John Hartford Memorial Festival in Bean Blossom IN!!!
- planning a date night to the Harvest Moon Drive-In for a picnic dinner w/the hubs ♥
- more camping at a family friend's beautiful property, complete with picturesque pond!
- a visit in Chicago with my BFF Shelbi & her family, in from Portland OR!
- our west-coast relatives coming in to celebrate the Fourth of July!
- my nephew's due date - can't wait to meet Baby Ben! :) xo
- realizing that even though I'm still on the job hunt & money is tight - I am blessed with friends, family & fun things to look forward to :)
May 10, 2012
When author & illustrator Maurice Sendak passed away earlier this week, I immediately heard (in my mind) the voice of Carole King singing his stories on the animated special Really Rosie. When Really Rosie aired on TV in 1975, I was just a glimmer in my parents eyes...they must have re-played the TV special on PBS or something years later because I vividly remember it from my childhood. Love. I ended up finding Really Rosie split in two parts on youtube, but the quality is pretty poor.
Mr. Sendak was kind of a crotchety old dude, but he managed to touch the hearts of children and challenged and changed the way people thought about children's literature. His words & illustrations are etched on the memories of my childhood. I was melancholy and sad when I learned he had passed, but everything I read and heard about him in recent years leads me to believe he was ready for the next adventure :)